Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Drawer Monsters - Sewn gifts from boys


It's Grandma's birthday and the boys wanted to do something for her.  Older Toad has been drawing reams of monsters so I thought we could combine his current interest in monsters and their love of sewing with something for Grandma.  Everyone likes their drawers to smell nice so the boys made monster sachets.

First I asked older Toad to draw some monsters on to 5" square pieces of paper.  Then we sorted the monsters by which were doable and which were too hard to sew.  I xeroxed his drawings on to multiple sheets of regular paper for pattern pieces.  He cut out his pattern pieces and then pinned those to the colored felt he chose.




I let him use my fabric scissors for this so I sat and watched him.





Then younger Toad and I did all the machine sewing.  I put the presser foot up on a box and let him do the footwork and I did all the steering.  Once we had them stitched up (except for the hole for stuffing) we filled them with lavender and stitched over the last hole.  While we were doing the machine sewing, older Toad was doing the hand sewing of the eyes.



When we chose our monsters we talked about using buttons for eyes.  Once we opened up the sewing box, they were drawn to the sparklies so we used those instead.  I had to finish the hand sewing on the last one as fatigue was setting in.  I thought they all turned out super cute and it was a good project for this week.  Older Toad is sick so we're emphasizing fun over drudgery.  I think Grandma will be happy.


Alien




Dogbite
Squidhead
I've shared this post:
733 
All Our Days
Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts
Capri + 3
Cheerios & Lattes
Crafty Moms Share 
Crayon Freckles
Delicate Construction
DIY Craft Projects 
Earning My Cape
Fresh Eggs Daily
Ginger Snap Crafts 
Glittering Mufins
Handy Man, Crafty Woman 
Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
Highhill Homeschool
Homegrown & Healthy
I Can Teach my Child
Katie's Nesting Spot
Ladybird Ln
Living Life Intentionally 
Milk and Cuddles 
Mom on Timeout 
Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
No Ordinary Blog Hop
One Artsy Mama 
One Creative Mommy 
No Time for Flashcards 
Red Ted Art
Repurpose My life 
Salt Tree
Someday Crafts
Southern Lovely 
Sun Scholars
The Crafty Blog Stalker 
The Fun in Functional 
The Imagination Tree
The Southern Institute
Thrifty 101 
We Made That 
White Lights on Wednesday 


15 comments:

maggy, red ted art said...

Those are so cute! And I keep meaning to do something similar with my son's drawings. Wonderful.

Thanks for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Bonny @ thedomesticatedprincess.com said...

I bet their grandmother will love them. I'm impressed by their sewing skills because, from the pictures, your older Toad doesn't look all that old. I think it's wonderful that you are teaching them these skills already and showing how they can turn their creative drawings into wonderful gifts. So cute!

Tricia at Mom is the Only Girl said...

Just came across your blog today and I can totally relate! I'm the mom to two boys, one just turned 4, the other will be 6 in January. I absolutely love these little monsters! My oldest loves to draw dinosaurs and this might be a great project to do with him! Thanks for sharing!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

How awesome! It's the perfect way to turn their art into a keepsake and a gift. :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Anne Birdsong said...

Hi, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Farmgirl Friday.

What a great idea! Perfect to turn kids artwork into practical gifts. And I love that you were able to find ways for the kids to safely help out with the actual sewing parts.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

Unknown said...

They did such a great job! I love those monsters. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

Unknown said...

I love these! What a cool idea, and they came out so awesome! Thanks so much for sharing on We Made That!

toady mama said...

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Aubrey @ Homegrown and Healthy said...

Thanks for sharing on Homemade Mondays! I always wanted to take my daughter's old drawings and turn them into stuffed animals or other cute sewing projects. <3

Andie Jaye said...

love this idea! especially since you have your boys sewing. i love to see mommas allowing their children to do things that aren't always accepted amongst all genders. thanks so much for linking this up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

Kendall said...

I featured this post on the weekly kid's co-op. You can see it here. :)

http://www.homelearningjourney.com/the-weekly-kids-co-op-126/

Carrie said...

Oh, how fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

jmommymom said...

Those are so creative. I'm impressed with his sewing ability. - Thanks for sharing at Highhill Homeschool.

jmommymom said...

I featured this on my blog hop this week. My kids have been busy creating homemade gifts and I can't wait to see what they did. http://highhillhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/12/homeschool-hobbies-and-handicrafts-dec_21.html

Mama Bird said...

great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...